Thursday, November 13, 2008

Middle Ground

We often find ourselves at a critical point in which things in life could go extremely well for us or fail miserably. Most of the time, its simply a reflection of how we overly dramatize things that are happening in our own lives.
Today I find myself at one of these critical junctures. I've been on course to make straight A's this semester, my second in Mechanical Engineering. My test average in Chemistry: 100, I'm really figuring things out in Calculus II and made a 95 on the last test, and things seem to just be getting easier in there. But of all things for Lee Kelley to be struggling in... Physics. Its difficult for me to even admit, because I LOVE Physics. This is not news to anyone. I got the highest grade in my 300ish person class on Test I and I was just rollin proud with my 105... The teacher assured me as long as I got a 90% average on all his tests, it would be A time for me. I understand the concepts to the point where I'm usually even helping others. No lie, I love it.
But all at once, it has hit me. Last test I was forced to turn in my test half blank from making damn sure what I had done was correct. It was a fluke of course, I'll just remember the clock and make sure to make quick order of this test... But friend's it has happened again. I'll spare you my angry ramblings about what was on Simon's test today, but basically, there was a lot of blank space when he gave the last call...
So here I am having 100% forsaking the other points accounting for over 50% of our grade in the class the entire semester knowing that my "for sure" test grades would provide the A and I'm now looking down the barrel of a very possible FAILURE!
On one side we have a very likely and much needed scholarship scenario with close to a 4.0 going into all my Mech. classes next semester, or the dropping of my entire schedule to fulfill the required pre-req of PHYSICS, thus leaving me behind a full semester's tuition and time! Flying colors-success or mega-failure, there never seems to be any middle ground with me.

1 comment:

Greg said...

Stupid mistakes are story of my physics class this semester as well. Hopefully I'll get a 100 on my organic test that I'm probably getting back tomorrow to make up for the two B's I've gotten in physics.

I'm taking Cal II next semester. Rumor has it, it's the most difficult of the Cal classes, but I really enjoyed Cal I, so hopefully I'll follow suit with II.

Me commenting on your blog is random. I should probably say hello or something somewhere in this comment.