Tuesday, June 17, 2008

Experience vs. Success

We learn most when we try and we fail. But, there’s something to be gained over and above just learning. Just like ol’ Teddy says,” It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood…” I’m constantly called to be that man. The trouble is, failing hurts. Sometimes, it even hurts others.

This has much to do about the experience God wants us to have as opposed to the success we strive toward. I’ve learned over and over that following Christ is not about productivity, or how much you feel like you’re “doing for the Kingdom.” It’s about whether you listened to the whisper of God and you obeyed that whisper. After all, we rarely get to see the fruit of our labor when it comes to kingdom work. The reward is always Joy. Pure, indescribable joy in our lives that only comes from Christ.

This also relates to a tidbit God has revealed to me this week about life while reflecting on my past relationships with ladies. My focus has often become fixed on the success (in my eyes) of a relationship. In other words, I strive for the continuation and development of that relationship. I have a tendency to lose touch with the experience. I’ll work until my hands bleed or my body absolutely gives out while striving for this goal. This sounds great at first glance, but I’ve seen that a woman is not a prize to win and a relationship is not something you earn. After all, a relationship that works can only come from God. I mean, I think we all know the challenges of bringing a man and a woman into intimate community with each other. It doesn’t work unless something divine is happening. The truth that I’ve found is this: If our goal is a relationship or even a marriage, we will always be disappointed, because a relationship or a marriage is NOT life giving. Jesus is.

I’m personally trying to release my controlling instincts when it comes to the course of a future relationship and my life in general. I want to be true to myself and allow God to bring me joy as I live to listen and obey Him one step at a time.

2 comments:

Dan said...

a couple of things:

a) the photo in your header should be permanent. It best reflects you. get it? ha

2) well said on the relations. i think that so many people have as their ultimate goal: a relationship. ok, then what? Good stuff. Sounds like you've been around the block a time or two.

really hoping i'll be back in AU for burger night (with frahls and ranch of course)

Meredith said...
This comment has been removed by the author.